Thursday, January 11, 2007

Psalm 7

O LORD my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me : Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver. (vv 1-2)

Yet another Psalm in which David calls upon the Lord for help. Do you sense a pattern here? God is real to this man. Whether his throne is being usurped, or he's being hunted, betrayed or slandered by his enemies, David turns to the Lord.

O LORD my God, If I have done this; if there be iniquity in my hands;If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me; (yea, I have delivered him that without cause is mine enemy:) Let the enemy persecute my soul, and take it; yea, let him tread down my life upon the earth, and lay mine honour in the dust. (vv 3-5)

In this instance, David seeks the Lord's exoneration based on his own innocence. His conscience is clear; he is not guilty of the crimes of which he's been accused. Can you say the same today, Child of God? Are you being falsely accused? Turn to God for vindication. Note, David does not attempt to justify himself to his accusers. Instead, he files his report at the judgement seat of God. You see, David is aware of the Lord's pronouncement to the Israelites:

To me belongeth vengeance and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste (Deut: 32:35)

We are reminded of this promise in Romans 12:19:

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Borrow a leaf out of David's book today. Bring your enemies before the Lord in prayer. If you've been wrongly accused, don't seek to justify yourself without receiving God's counsel on the matter. Let God be your Judge and Defence (v10) for, when He arises on your behalf, you can be sure of swift victory. Listen to what David says:

The LORD shall judge the people... (v8): judgement is certain;

....the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins. (v9): He knows the motivations of man. Nothing is hidden from His sight;

....God is angry with the wicked everyday. If he (the wicked) turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready. (11-12): The wicked person's actions do not go unnoticed by God, and if he doesn't change his ways, he will be swiftly punished by God.

On the other hand, the Enemy may seek to accuse you of present sin in your life, for which you deserve judgement. In such cases, you have an advocate in our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Cor 1:30 NLT). Through Him, you are made right with God. Repent and turn from that sin, let your conscience be cleansed, then stand firm. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus! (Romans 8:1)

While you wait for the certain outcome of your petition before God, be like David and ...sing praise to the name of the Lord most high! (v 17)


No comments: