Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Psalm 24


The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
(vv 1-2)

Let there be no doubt in the reader's heart as to the origin and ownership of this earth. If you have not done so already, read Genesis 1 for an account of creation. God also backs up the psalmist's words in Isaiah 66:1:

Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool...

Having acknowledged this fact, the psalmist doesn't stop with admiring God's handiwork, but chooses to draw closer to the Creator. It is not enough for us to focus on His feet, when we can look upon the Lord's face. In David's own words:

Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually. (1 Chr 16:11)

However, we cannot just wander into His presence without preparation - the person who approaches the Lord must have clean hands, a pure heart and an undeceiving tongue . To enter God's presence, we must be sinless in thought, word and deed, for only the pure in heart will see God (Matt 5:8). Only that person will receive the Lord's blessing and remain in right standing with Him, according to the psalm under consideration. (vv 4-5)

This is the generation [description] of those who seek Him [who inquire of and for Him and of necessity require Him], who seek Your face, [O God of] Jacob. (v 6 Amplified)

These are the ones to whom God will reveal Himself, which He has promised to do, if we search for Him with all our hearts (Jeremiah 29:12-13).

God's righteousness is all we need to be born again, but the believer who wants to experience the fullness of God's riches and blessings must be holy. The Holy Spirit can, and will convict the true believer of sin, and forgiveness is available through the righteousness that comes from Jesus Christ (John 16:7-11). Finally, we are assured by the psalmist that the King of glory will enter into the heart whose gates are flung wide open; as the Lord Himself confirms:

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. (Revelation 3:19-21)

If the Holy Spirit is speaking to you about unconfessed sin, be quick to repent and receive His cleansing so that the Lord of glory might reign supreme over your life. He brings an abundance of blessings with Him, and the certainty that you will sit with Him on his throne in eternity.

Pray with me today:

Lord, I repent of my sins, and ask for your forgiveness. Purify my heart, soul and mind, that my deeds, thoughts and words may be acceptable in your sight. I open up my heart and ask that the glorious King enter in today and always.


Psalm 24 Full Reading

Scripture quotations taken from the Amplified® Bible,Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman FoundationUsed by permission." (www.Lockman.org)


No comments: