Sunday, April 15, 2007

Psalm 69

This song, another of David's cries to God about false accusations and injustice, is quoted several times in the New Testament as a parallel for Christ's life.

The Christian who meditates on this psalm will likely experience mixed feelings - of comfort in reading what was prophesied about the Saviour centuries before His advent, and unease in knowing He was taking our place; of joy in the knowledge that He came to rescue us from suffering, and heartbreak at what He had to endure.


The following scriptures are directly referred to in the New Testament:
  1. v 4: Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head; they are mighty who would destroy me, being my enemies wrongfully; (John 15:25)
  2. v 9: Because zeal for Your house has eaten me up, and the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me. (John 2:17)
  3. v 21: They also gave me gall for my food, and for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink. (Matt 27:34)
Other indirect references include:
  1. v 7: Because for Your sake I have borne reproach; shame has covered my face.
  2. v 8:I have become a stranger to my brothers, and an alien to my mother’s children;
  3. v 12: Those who sit in the gate speak against me, and I am the song of the drunkards.
As you read through this psalm, consider Christ. Consider His suffering. Consider the glory He exchanged for sin-stricken man. Consider the following:
  • He bore our disgrace and reproach, that we might be included in the family of God (v9,19)
  • He was despised that we might be accepted (v 8)
  • He took our sins upon Himself, that we might have His life (v 7)
  • He sought and found no comfort, that we might be comforted (v 20)
  • He was made poor that we might be rich (v 29)
  • His salvation set us on high (v 29)
Surely, our response to His goodness, mercy, and the suffering He endured must be worship and adoration: to join our voices with heaven to praise Him, and raise our song with the seas (v 34). And to declare His saving grace to a dying world.

Consider Him.

2 comments:

M. L. Archer said...

Wonderful blog, Toyin. Always a joy to visit!

tbafs said...

Thanks, Merry. Always glad to have your company on the journey!