Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Psalm 71

Here, we see the testimonial of a man, who, having walked throughout his life with God, is confident enough to seek His help in old age.

For You are my hope, O Lord GOD; You are my trust from my youth. By You I have been upheld from birth; You are He who took me out of my mother’s womb. My praise shall be continually of You. (vv 5-6)

As he casts his mind back over his lifelong relationship with God, he acknowledges that God has been with him from birth. His Maker's presence was a viable part of his life, from his youth. He has learned to trust in, and seen the Lord do wondrous things on his behalf.

You can do the same today. If you candidly look back over your life, you will have cause to testify of the Almighty's goodness towards you. An old song, Angels, puts it this way:


God only knows the times my life was threatened just today;
A reckless car ran out of gas before it ran my way

Near misses all around me, accidents unknown
Though I never see with human eyes the hands that lead me home.
(Amy Grant: Age to Age 1982)

In the psalmist's words:

My mouth shall tell of Your righteous acts and of Your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is more than I know. (v 15)


The fact that you are alive today, enjoying whatever blessings you are surrounded with, is proof that God has been with you from birth. You don't know how many times His angels have rescued you and kept you from harm. You don't know how many dangers they have averted on your behalf. Because he could testify to God's help throughout his life (and possibly because he noted the acts of which he was aware), the psalmist could count on God's help in his old age.

Take two things away from Psalm 71:
  1. Teach your children (or the young around you) about the Lord as early as possible. The Hebrews, during the psalmist's time, were raised knowing God was always with them, He was taught to them as ever-present and part of their existence. That way, they grew up able to trust in His ability to deliver them, and they could experience Him personally.

  2. Recount often, to the Lord, yourself and others, how God has blessed you. Ask God to open your eyes to see how He has always been with you. Then give Him thanks.
Today, write Him a letter of testimony and thanks, just like this psalmist, so that in days to come, you can refer to it and reinforce your confidence in His ability to look after your future.


No comments: