Friday, March 30, 2007

Psalm 57

My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword. (v 4)

As he writes this psalm, David's life is a complete mess. Like an Old Testament Robin Hood, he is surrounded by men who would kill for him at the drop of a hat. They have to live by their wits, not knowing what one day holds from the next. Far from becoming Israel's king and living in palatial splendour as prophesied by Samuel, he's taken up residence in a cave as leader of a pack of outlaws. And instead of being worship leader for the King and nation of Israel, he finds himself playing to an audience of One.

In a perfect world, life would run smoothly, with things happening how and when they're supposed to. But we all know that's not the case. Just when you've received a word telling you that God is about to take you to the next level of His blessing, things fall apart. You are convinced that the job you've applied for is God-sent, until the rejection letter drops through your letter box. And as soon as you set your heart on a closer walk with God, your fleshly desires flare up and you slip further away.

My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early. (vv 7-8)

Thankfully, God's promises do not change in spite of our circumstances, for His ways are not ours. David is determined to turn the turmoil of adversity into a place of praise, since all he's going through is a prelude to glory. So, he sets his heart upon God, and calls on every thing within him to take note of his decision. It is not for David to sit around morose and depressed; instead, his voice of praise rouses everyone else in the morning. This King-in-the-making is triumphant in the face of difficulty.

I will praise and give thanks to You, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to You among the nations.


Caught up in the throes worship, David suddenly catches a glimpse of his future restoration.

God's plans never change.

Whatever you're struggling with today, fix your heart. Don't be moved and tossed around by your circumstances. Tarry (wait patiently) in God's presence until He becomes so real that you can feel Him, and receive a renewed awareness of His promises. And while you wait, keep your mind on this word from Him:

For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,
my name is Kay, from Singapore working in India as a missionary. I enjoyed reading your article.

Keep loving the Lord!